Liberty Baptist Church
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- Building Up the Body of Christ

History

History of Liberty Baptist Church

On April 14, 1838, Liberty Baptist Church was constituted by a presbytery, a formal gathering of ministers for this purpose, consisting of Elders Charles Felder, Jesse Young, Zachariah Reeves, Thomas H. Bond, and A. W. Pool. The charter members were: David Lea, George McGehee, James Green, John B. Turnipseed, Lucretia Van Norman, Samuel W. Van Norman, Burton Bates, Aaron Van Norman, and J. Taylor.

In August 1839 a committee announced the purchase of Lot No. 2 in Block No. 2 of the original town of Liberty for use as a church site. This lot was slightly north and west of what is now downtown Liberty. Then during the year, 1840, the church building was erected. Liberty Baptist Church occupied its new building in December 1840. This was the first church erected in the Town of Liberty.

In 1884 the Ladies Aid Society of Liberty Baptist Church was formed. The ladies who made up this missions society made it their sole purpose to meet missionary needs that were not being met at the time. The Ladies Aid Society was the beginning of the Women's Missionary Union and officially changed its name in 1888.

Beginning in 1902 there were discussions within the church concerning the need of a new church building. This new church building was constructed sometime in the early 1900s with the first service being held in the building on June 27, 1915. 

In 1945 there arose a need for a new addition to the church building. On March 14, 1953, the contract for construction of the Educational Building on the west side of the church was signed, and ribbon cutting ceremonies were held on October 13, 1953.

For many years a "community church," located in the Enterprise community about five miles west of Liberty, held services conducted by various pastors in the area. In 1954 Liberty Baptist Church granted a request for some of its own members to become charter members of Enterprise Baptist Church. The first service of Enterprise Baptist Church was held on May 16, 1954. 

In 1969, the church voted to renovate the sanctuary, rearranging the choir loft and baptistery and adding a two-story classroom annex to the rear of the church. Then, in 1993, the idea of building a family life center was mentioned. The Family Life Center was dedicated on November 10, 1996.

Our Father's unending love continues to surround Liberty Baptist Church as we continue to worship and serve Him.